Monday, April 13

Last Frontier

Hazard, Kentucky had to be the "last frontier" for the old "Ford Model A" automobile. After they disappeared every where else, Model A's were still abundant in Hazard. There were many in the City and even more in the surrounding towns and coal camps. My dad was the proud owner of a Model A Coupe with the "rumble seat" in the back, where the trunk would normally be. I can still hear that familiar cackling sound of the four cylinder engine running down Route 15. Dad serviced all the big refrigeration units in all the big coal camp commissaries in the area. He also made house calls to repair refrigerators. Thats how He Got a "C" gas sticker on his windshield during WWII. He always had plenty of gasoline to motor around. Sometimes on Saturday I would travel with him to all those great places. I remember Blue Diamond, Hardburly, Carr Creek, Viper, Vicco, Dwarf, Rowdy, Fisty, Bulan, Diablock, Chavies and more. We even went as far as Jackson several times. My favorite trip was a weekend visit to Lexington. With Mom along I got to ride in the rumble seat. Lexington was the bigtime to me. The basketball capital of the world. Dad would give me a couple of dollars and let me go out on my own. I got to know downtown Lexington very well. On the way back we would take the back road to Jackson and visit my uncle's farm in Oatdale. After the old dirt road ended we continued through the fields and across the creeks to get there. That's one of the reasons the model A was so popular in Eastern Kentucky. It would go anywhere. On visits to Hazard, in the 50's, I would still see an occasional Model A. Probably all gone by now, except in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. That car played a very important part in our American History. Remember Fords come from Detroit, imports come from Hell.

1 comment:

  1. The model A was the toughest car I have ever posessed.
    I had one in 1947-1949.
    I would slow it by running it in the ditch on the mountain side of the road and let the bumper drag the hill. (poor brakes)
    My rumble seat was replaced by a bed made from boards so I could hall coal.
    I loved the ticking sound when it ran smooth.
    Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete