Thursday, July 9

The River Was Kind To Us

Roy G. Eversole was kind enough to say he liked my reminisces. He recalled the large white sand bar, under where the swinging bridge is now located, that in low tide jutted halfway across the river. On this white sand bar they played baseball. Roy was the catcher, Ralph Fulp was the pitcher and also on the team were Paul Coburn and Fred Gross, Bill Goad, Archie Ruschak, Loran Johnson, Joe Eversole (pharmacist and owner of a drug store in Jenkins), Cassius and Carl Eversole as well as others. Those were Happy Days. The river had pure, clear water. The North Fork was kind to us but alas we were not kind to it, as the building fever of the Roaring '20s came with a rush. We filled in the river with mud, mortar and bricks and in 1927 it repaid us with our first flood in 50 years.

3 comments:

  1. Love this memoir and the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blog entry. AWESOME. The picture, wonder who the little feller is. How I wish I had took time to hear Mrs. Johnson tell some of these memories. I had no idea she had a head full of such history.

    Archie and his wife, Minnie, were neighbors in Big Bottom when they were old. I visualize Archie as he was then and then I read that he played ball on this sandbar. I would never have pictured him doing that. He drove a taxi now and again. I think Loran Johnson was his brother-in-law. They lived next door to one another and then some of their kin were the Nogers living there too. Another time in my youth that I had almost forgotten. Mercy sakes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know its not but that could have easily been me there with the bare feet, in my overals, with a pocket full of marbles. I went over that bridge many times. Why did they let it die?

    ReplyDelete